Treetop Whispers
Welcome to Treetop Whispers, a discussion forum for fans of the Warriors/Seekers series. The most complete Warrior Cats forum on the net, with discussion, roleplay, photo gallery, user profiles, and so much more!

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Don't forget to check and see if you have gotten any Friends Requests lately!
Don't forget to check your Visitor Messages from time to time!
Make sure to participate in the Halloween Scavenger Hunt! Sorry it's late.

Share | 

Shade's Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stormheart
Administrator
Administrator

Prey Points : 6075

Character Sheet
Clan: ThunderClan
PostSubject: Shade's Children    Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 pm

This, is by far, the creepiest book I have ever read. I recommend being no younger than 13 years old if you plan on reading it. But if you do plan on reading it, please, get off of this topic. It's going to be full of spoilers. I repeat spoilers.

Alright guys, Shade's Children is a Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic novel. That's pretty much why I picked it up. The cover looks pretty awesome too (No I did not "judge a book by its cover" thanks).
Spoiler:

Because I'm lazy and don't feel like explaining what the book is about, here is the summary.

In a futuristic urban wasteland, evil Overlords have decreed that no child shall live a day past his fourteenth birthday. On that Sad Birthday, the child is the object of an obscene harvest resulting in the construction of a machinelike creature whose sole purpose is to kill.

The mysterious Shade -- once a man, but now more like the machines he fights -- recruits the few children fortunate enough to escape. With luck, cunning, and skill, four of Shade's children come closer than any to discovering the source of the Overlords' power -- and the key to their downfall. But the closer the children get, the more ruthless Shade seems to become ...

This book has the weirdest sexual scenes. Like oh my God, what in the world? (Because I'm just so inappropriate I showed them to my friend and we both died laughing.) THEN the guy, Shade, is really a computer? Wut. He's a human personality that has been programed into a computer. He sends his "children" out on quests; most of the suicidal. But no, no-one questions Shade. Oh no. He's the one that saved all the children lives. They should be grateful. Do not question, even when he is sending you on a life threatening quest with seemingly no purpose. Later in the book the characters start to realize how psychotic this computer dude really is. Then out the very end if the book it gets all confusing because the personality and conscious, that was downloaded onto the computer, starts to fight the computer and wants to get out, blah blah blah.

To be honest I have no idea where all the adults in the book went. The book hinted once that they went to another dimension, the one where the overlords came from. You come to find out the the Overlords are human, or pretty much human. That is also confusing. Why would humans want to make children and teenagers into monsters? Why? One of the protagonists asked this to an Overlord and she wouldn't reply. Weird.

Another weird thing. This book was written in third person and followed the lives of four teenagers. At the end of the book he kills off two of the main characters. Who does that? I've know authors to kill main characters but never a character the narrator followed.

Helpful Links!

If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could've won

U got kik? xXStormheartXx
My tumblr can be disturbing and is for mature audiences only. Message me if interested.

Back to top Go down
Skyhawk
Bedding Changer
Bedding Changer

Prey Points : 66

PostSubject: Re: Shade's Children    Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Whoa, that sounds awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Moonpaw
StarClan Cat
StarClan Cat

Prey Points : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Shade's Children    Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm

I think the book sounds creepy...like a scary movie.

Is the author a new one, or has he been writing other books as well?
Back to top Go down
Stormheart
Administrator
Administrator

Prey Points : 6075

Character Sheet
PostSubject: Re: Shade's Children    Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:34 pm

He has written other books as well, but I'm not sure if he wrote them before or after this one. Shade's Children was published in 1997.

Helpful Links!

If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could've won

U got kik? xXStormheartXx
My tumblr can be disturbing and is for mature audiences only. Message me if interested.

Back to top Go down
Honeyblaze
Patrol Leader
Patrol Leader

Prey Points : 2215

Character Sheet
PostSubject: Re: Shade's Children    Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am

It sounds kinda creepy and all deathy..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shade's Children